Connect With Fellow A3ers Through The Discord App
Posted: July 16th, 2016, 7:48 pm
A3 is always looking for new and interesting ways to connect with its members. One of our greatest hurdles, though, is connecting members to each other. With everyone playing on different servers, different factions, and the limitations of the friends list – many of you have probably never had a chance to connect. We hope to use the Discord App to help solve that!
|The major perk of an app like Discord is that communication is live, meaning you can see it on the fly (assuming you are logged in). This will be an advantage over the forum or Twitter, where you need to check in throughout the day. It will be especially helpful with organizing groups, sharing rare spawn information with others, or just getting to know your fellow A3ers!||[/td]|
Get the App
Join Our Server
- Text Chat (chatroom-like)
- Voice Chat
- Direct Messages
- In-Game Overlay (only works with voice FOR NOW; text overlay may come later)
- Desktop & Mobile Apps
While you are not required to register for Discord with your A3 name, we do request that you set your nickname to your A3 FORUM name. This will help members to easily recognize each other without unecessary confusion.
To set your nickname:
- Right-click on your name in the SERVER user list.
- Click on 'Change Nickname'.
To enable push-to-talk follow these steps:
- Click 'User Settings'.
- Click 'Voice'.
- In the bottom left drop-down menu (Input Mode) select Push to Talk.
- Click ‘User Settings’.
- Click ‘Keybinds’.
- In the left drop-down menu select ‘Push to Talk’.
- Click in the right field, and push the key you want to use as your push-to-talk button.
- Click on the menu icon (three horizontal lines) near the top left by the server name “Azeroth Adoption Agency”.
- Click on ‘Notification Settings’.
Discord has a targeting feature similar to what is used on Twitter. Within the chat channels, you can target individual members by typing @name or an entire group of users by typing @groupname. When you first type @ into the text box, you will be presented with a list of members and groups to choose from. You can also target the specific channel that you are in by typing @here. This will notify everyone in the channel who is online. Examples
- If you wanted to send a PUBLIC message to Wakamaru in a chat channel you would type “@Wakamaru Hi Waka!”.
- If you wanted to ask a PUBLIC question to anyone on the A3team you would type “@a3team Hello! I was curious if someone could explain to me how the Team Challenges worked?”.
- If you wanted to send a PUBLIC message to everyone who is online in the channel you would type “@here Hey everyone! How’s it going?”.
You are able to send private instant messages to people as well. You can do this by finding the person you want in the list at the right. To send them a message you can:
- Left-click on a person’s name in the list and type a message in the “Message @name” field and push Enter to send it.
- Example: If you left-clicked on Wakamaru you would see “Message @Wakamaru”. Type your initial message here and push Enter.
- Right-click on a person’s name in the list and click on ‘Message’. This will bring you to the full-sized chat window where you can then type and send your messages.
Messages can be sent to online and offline members alike. If the member is offline, they can read it when they come back.
- You can adjust the volume of each person individually for voice chat. To do this quickly and easily, simply right-click on their name in the member list at right and adjust the slider.
- You can add notes to people to help you remember important details. To do this, right-click on their name in the member list at right and click add note.
- Announcements will always be posted in and pinned from the Announcements channel.
- If you find that your group needs an additional voice or text channel, please send Wakamaru a direct message.
- Questions, comments and concerns should be sent to Wakamaru.