!! REMINDER !!
Official communication will be done over the forum - not in game. Check your Private Messages.

Welcoming New Players (?)

Wakamaru
Administrator
Administrator
United States of America

Welcoming New Players (?)

Post by Wakamaru » June 22nd, 2016, 12:42 am

Hello, A3ers!

I've been spending a little time each evening finding a handful of new WoW players and taking a moment to send them a welcome to WoW mail and a few goodies. I've been doing this on Skywall/Drak'thul and Bladefist/Kul Tiras. I've been writing the names down so I can try to be sure I'm sending goodies to new people each time.

I was curious if anyone else has been doing something similar? If you are doing it - what do you include with your mail? Bags? Gold? Pets? Toys? Random good luck charms? What do you say in your welcome message?

I've been sending 1 larger bag (16 to 22 slot), 1 pet, and 1 toy wrapped in wrapping paper. I don't really say much, just a quick welcome and then I sign the note. I tend to invite them to ask any questions they might have. I've been signing the notes on Bladefist as "Wakamaru, Azeroth Adoption Agency" since some of our rampant population pets are being included in the welcomes.

I sort of want to include either my WoW social twitter or the A3 twitter so can tweet/dm questions if they need (if they have twitter), but I wasn't sure how that would be received. Signing "@TamerWakamaru" instead of "Wakamaru" or "Wakamaru of @A3pets" instead of "Wakamaru, Azeroth Adoption Agency". Note that it wouldn't say "Twitter: @TamerWakamaru", it would just say "@TamerWakamaru" and if they catch it they catch it. I can't decide if I want to do something like this or if, specifically with A3, it would seem cheesy?

Thanks!
Waka
Community Leader
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Adoption Forum Management
Adoptions: Inventory
Community Manager/Leader
Event Creation/Management
Pawprint Press Contributor
Reading With Leashes Contributor / Admin
Site Admin
Social Media Manager

Wakamaru
Administrator
Administrator
United States of America

Re: Welcoming New Players (?)

Post by Wakamaru » June 22nd, 2016, 12:45 am

I'm going to go ahead and answer this question before it's asked... I'm sure someone will want to know how I "tell" if they are a new player or not.

I typically do a /who 21-xx (usually 60, sometimes something else) which brings up a list of players online and in my faction. I then head over to the wow armory and search for their armory profile. For example... If I would Wakalette on Skywall I would search for "Wakalette@Skywall" - which would bring me to their armory. Once there I look at how many achievement points they have and their activity log (since these things are account-wide and not just toon-specific).

This is how I determine "new"er players. Some are recently new and some are returning new.

It's not flawless, but I'm content with the method. :P
Community Leader
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Community Manager/Leader
Site Admin
Social Media Manager

Shegrah

Post by Shegrah » June 22nd, 2016, 8:43 am

Wakamaru wrote:Signing "@TamerWakamaru" instead of "Wakamaru" or "Wakamaru of @A3pets" instead of "Wakamaru, Azeroth Adoption Agency".
I think this would be fine and honestly it lets new players know that they can find information about WoW outside of it. I also love this idea and I think I may start doing it when I have time.

Wakamaru
Administrator
Administrator
United States of America

Post by Wakamaru » June 23rd, 2016, 1:41 am

Shegrah wrote:
Wakamaru wrote:Signing "@TamerWakamaru" instead of "Wakamaru" or "Wakamaru of @A3pets" instead of "Wakamaru, Azeroth Adoption Agency".
I think this would be fine and honestly it lets new players know that they can find information about WoW outside of it. I also love this idea and I think I may start doing it when I have time.
Hi Shegrah!

Thanks for the input! I think it's awesome that you are interested in doing something like this. Astrae has started doing the same for her home server.

Thanks!
Waka
Community Leader
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Community Manager/Leader
Site Admin
Social Media Manager

flameflash
United States of America

Post by flameflash » June 25th, 2016, 9:09 pm

This is a great idea. Love it.

I like your search method too. I'll likely take a peek at mine using this method (if I remember).
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Forum Moderator
Reading With Leashes Contributor
Sister Guild (Petoholics Anonymous) Manager

Return to “World of Warcraft”