!! REMINDER !!
Official communication will be done over the forum - not in game. Check your Private Messages.

Feeling discouraged

LadyWizard

Feeling discouraged

Post by LadyWizard » May 22nd, 2015, 5:00 pm

Well today blizzard finally came down firm on no flying in the upcoming expacs EVER so not feeling motivated especaially since they already said tanaan is another large timeless isle style zone. Just too much on the cutting room floor this expac

piwakawaka
Team Member
Team Member
New Zealand

Re: Feeling discouraged

Post by piwakawaka » May 22nd, 2015, 7:25 pm

the wording says that the no flying currently applies to future expansions, they arent ruling it out if they design zones that would work well with flying.

Honestly i find myself not caring. Most of the places where you want the flying have it. Theres a few things in draenor where you wish you had flying but not so many that its annoying, and most of those you can work around anyway.
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Pawprint Press Manager
Reading With Leashes Contributor
Recruitment Team
Tracking Sheet Manager

LadyWizard

Post by LadyWizard » May 22nd, 2015, 7:39 pm

Well another article another dev flatout admitted he was trying to phase out archeology as well and whatever else he considered "expansion specific" which means how much longer before they try taking out pet battles from us?

piwakawaka
Team Member
Team Member
New Zealand

Post by piwakawaka » May 22nd, 2015, 8:06 pm

Would you be able to link that please? Im curious to see the exact wording. Im inclined to disbelieve it at this moment given that almost everything can be considered expansion specific. I mean archaeology was never the greatest or most fun of the secondary professions but it still has some awesome stuff you can get from it. i doubt theyll phase out pet battling given this expansion has been about trying to make the learnimg curve easier on newbies.
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Pawprint Press Manager
Recruitment Team
Tracking Sheet Manager

LadyWizard

Post by LadyWizard » May 23rd, 2015, 12:31 am

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-future-of-wo ... ft/#page-1

Basically it's the line where he says garrisons are getting killed off end of WoD

piwakawaka
Team Member
Team Member
New Zealand

Post by piwakawaka » May 23rd, 2015, 1:25 am

Hmm i can see where you're coming from. At the same time i think there actually is a very solid point for leaving some things in their expansion. Just like we left the farm in mists, when the next expansion comes we'll leave our garrisons to complain about the next big adventure. I still visit my farm so i can get imperial silk, maybe ill go back to my garrison to get old school mats for something. Its not erasing the presence of the thing, its letting be in that expansion which i think is where the difference is important. And lets face it, archaeology is not interesting this expansion. It needs either a rethink or getting dropped. I couldnt care less which. My husband loves doing archaeology and would likely vote revamp.

I doubt they would leave pet battling. For one thing it is a very good casual gamer activity, and for another, i imagine there would be a very large angry mob with pitchforks sharpened if they did that.

I dont always agree with what blizzard does, but the corner of the universe i play in is currently very happy. I mean, two major pet patches in a row? Bliss!

At the end of the day, if you need a break to rediscover what you enjoy, take it. Sometimes you get lucky and find something you enjoy before that happens. If i hadn't found A3 i likely would be quitting soon. With new friends and things to do i find myself enjoying things easier. Not that i dislike the expansion. Sometimes you just need a few people to share the game with to give it a new lease on life.

*hug* I hope tomorrow brings you a better day.
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Pawprint Press Manager
Recruitment Team
Tracking Sheet Manager

Ivrae

Post by Ivrae » May 23rd, 2015, 3:33 am

I understand where you're coming from, LadyWizard. The news that I will never be able to slalom through the trees in Talador, or skim the surface of the Zangar Sea and watch the ripples from my wingtips fade behind me - just for the heck of it - is very disappointing to me.

Timeless Isle was terrible, and I'm not looking forward to another one. It is such a pain to get anywhere without flying that I find myself simply not going anywhere at all, because I don't have the time to both get there and then grind or camp or whatever the flavor of the month activity is. The creatures on the ground aren't dangerous - just annoying. But they're annoying enough that they're a deterrent to exploration.
Adotu @ Azeroth Adoption Agency | Chryllinite @ Petoholics Anonymous
WCP @ http://www.warcraftpets.com/account/profiles/Ivrae/

Ehly
Superstar
Superstar
United States of America

Post by Ehly » May 24th, 2015, 5:46 pm

I feel for you, LadyWizard. I avoid Draenor when possible - I still haven't completed the major quest chains! Yesterday, I gave up trying to find 3 rare wilds and just bought stones with charms so I didn't have to deal with it anymore. Flying is one of the things I love about the game. There's stuff now to do without being in no-fly zones, but if all future xpacs go the same way, I'll probably quit playing for some time.

solitha
Superstar
Superstar
United States of America

Post by solitha » May 25th, 2015, 2:13 am

I'm totally with you, LadyWizard, and judging from the offical forums thread (which capped at 511 pages and is on a part 2), we're not alone.

I've played since late 2006. I've been to every Blizzcon starting with 2008, bought all the store mounts and pets, most of my wardrobe is WoW shirts, I've got every WoW and a few other plushies they've sold, all the FigurePets, all the CEs starting with Wrath.

I cannot count the amount of times I've thought about actually setting foot outside the garrison, thought about how much of a pain it is to slog around on foot, and just given up. This includes archaeology, which I love, pet battle trainers, and followers. I spent 1 1/2 hrs daily in MoP flying from trainer to trainer leveling pets and earning stones and new pets out the wazoo. But I just can't get up the desire to give a crap about Draenor, at least not enough to hoof it and puzzle through terrain over and over.

I've done all the danged achievements. All the zones explored, treasures found, quests done. All the hoops jumped through, flames and all.

And I may very well chuck it all if Blizz doesn't figure out how to dev in harmony with flight. That excuse is just pitiful.

solitha
Superstar
Superstar
United States of America

Post by solitha » May 25th, 2015, 2:19 am

BTW I fully expected garrisons to stay on Draenor. Just like Sunsong, it's something that makes sense for the content it's in, and I have little trouble leaving that behind other than the fondness we get for our little pixel friends. The tech exists and I expect them to build on it for something else.

Archaeology? That really suits all expansions. It's a side activity that provides lore and flavor. It's solo and wholly PvE, without even any competition if another person's in the same digsite. Why the heck they would cut that baffles me, except that it's very niche.

Ivrae

Post by Ivrae » May 25th, 2015, 5:19 am

They've cut a lot of the "lore and flavor" lately though, solitha. Look at the apexis dailies, or those bonus events. "Go kill stuff, because we say so." I wouldn't be surprised if that was the exact reason they'd want to cut arch - someone's got to come up with all that flavor text and icons and all that.

solitha
Superstar
Superstar
United States of America

Post by solitha » May 25th, 2015, 5:24 am

As a recent Blizzard Watch article reminded me, though... the leveling quests were amazing. Rich in story and involvement. It's just the endgame that's been almost wholly detached.

Ivrae

Post by Ivrae » May 25th, 2015, 5:41 am

But that's the problem. They did such a good job on the leveling that the abrupt end to the story and faction involvement at 100 was not only sad, but left everything feeling unfinished.

The garrison questline was a measly attempt to satisfy that need, but not only was it gated behind a weekly timer, they hardly took any time to complete.

solitha
Superstar
Superstar
United States of America

Post by solitha » May 27th, 2015, 7:08 pm

I think we're all singing to the choir here, actually.

I think the disconnect for me started when I realized that I had to collect nodes in my own mine. That totally cracked the theme of "commander of all Alliance forces in Draenor". I'm sorry, I don't have time to command. I have ore to mine, and herbs to pick, because I totally don't have people who could do this for me.

Those could have been put in as awesome mini-games. There's so much potential, and it just got ignored.

Avarion

Post by Avarion » May 27th, 2015, 9:20 pm

I'm with you on the flying :) along with probably a high percentage of wow players.

Leaving my garrison(s) behind to the next expac, well I'm gonna lead that charge lol, too many alts and not enough time in the day. I think I hit burnout and complete boredom about a month after WoD came out, then I discovered A3, thanks to a friend and have had fun running old raids for pets to donate, and just various things and events I haven't done for ages. My fun times atm involve old content, not new, nothing in the new zones holds any interest after the 10th run thru.

I'm also happy to set up a group for pet runs thru old content just send me a message (horde and alliance) maybe we can keep each other amused for a while lol, we could even get a group together for tanaan jungle (pet hunting is always more fun with friends)

piwakawaka
Team Member
Team Member
New Zealand

Post by piwakawaka » June 11th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Alright everyone! if you haven't seen it already http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/198005 ... -6-10-2015 Blizz has made yet another decision RE: flying. read through and lets hear what everyone thinks. Did they do well with this decision? should they have done it differently? what are you going to do?
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Pawprint Press Manager
Recruitment Team
Tracking Sheet Manager

Shegrah
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Shegrah » June 11th, 2015, 8:03 pm

I think it was a topic they had to address is some way. To be honest I didn't really mind about flying one way or the other I'm just here for the pets and I can get to them with or without flying. Considering the reasons why they wanted to take out flying in the first place I think this is probably about as good a solution as anyone could come up with (depending on how awful the rep grind is). I personally am going to get pets. If I happen to unlock the flying and have the gold for it I'll get it but I'm not too worried about it.

Ivrae

Post by Ivrae » June 11th, 2015, 8:21 pm

I already had all the achievements, aside from the 100 treasures of which I had only 11 left to get (and I ran out and got them after the announcement) and that was just from running my main toons through to 100. My other toons leveled through the garrison and pet battles, but since it's account wide that won't matter. I don't feel that it's a bad way to set it up. Once you've finished the content they're concerned about flying interfering with once, they'll let you fly.

The only part I'm concerned about is the new reps. I understand that two of them have some kind of questing associated with them, so it would make sense that they would be tied to the flight achievement - but the third is apparently a grind of the type the previous WoD reps were, and even as OCD as I am about getting my reps to exalted I still haven't finished those because they're awful.

LadyWizard

Post by LadyWizard » June 11th, 2015, 11:08 pm

I scared of the reps (which is the only thing I don't have) and the fact flying won't be implements until 6.2.x all we get is yet another flying mount if we get pathfinder early. Plus side only to revered and unlocks accountwide after done the requirements on one toon

Irayna
Superstar
Superstar
United States of America

Post by Irayna » June 12th, 2015, 8:58 am

Also, the achievement criteria is account wide as well, so if you get Loremaster on one toon and treasures on another and securing Draenor on a third, they all count. Only thing that isn't clear yet is whether the reps will be one meta achievement or if they will all count individually (meaning you can do them on separate toons too).

Return to “Everything Else”