!! REMINDER !!
Official communication will be done over the forum - not in game. Check your Private Messages.

Newsletter August 22: I Can't Think Of A Non-Legion Title!

piwakawaka
Team Member
Team Member
New Zealand

Newsletter August 22: I Can't Think Of A Non-Legion Title!

Post by piwakawaka » August 22nd, 2016, 4:52 am

August 2016
Year 2, Issue 34

Hello, Readers.

I hope you're all having fun with the Legion invasions, as well as the new quest lines that we get to see. Those of you who have created Demon Hunters, are you having fun? What's your favourite thing about them? Are they all you imagined they would be? How happy are you that their glide is a thing? Has anyone forgotten it was a thing and fallen to their death yet? Let us know your amusing, stupid and just plain 'what in heck just happened?' moments. Don't forget the screenshots!

In this week's newsletter we're giving you links to various previews Blizzard have been releasing. Please note though, that some of these previews can potentially have spoilers, so depending on what level of detail you prefer some of the previews may need to be avoided for the time being. I'm looking at you, Demon Hunter short story. For anyone who hasn't yet quested through the experience and doesn't want it spoiled, don't read it, really don't. It's an excellent retelling of the starting experience from a character's point of view, but you'll find a lot of details you likely didn't want to know.

I hope you all have a good week and that you find plenty to do in Azeroth.

Piwakawaka.
Legion Previews
Azsuna
  • Azsuna is home to the remnants of the ancient night elves ravaged by the wrath of Queen Azshara. This accursed land is rife with many mysteries, and serves as refuge to what remains of the Blue Dragonflight.

Val'sharah
  • In this zone preview, we sat down with Senior Game Designer Steve Burke to talk about Val’sharah and learn more about what you’ll experience there.

Black Rook Hold and Darkheart Thicket
  • Many challenges await the heroes of Azeroth in Legion, and among the most dangerous are the dungeons found in and around the Broken Isles. In this preview, we take a look at two of the expansion’s new dungeons: Black Rook Hold and Darkheart Thicket.

Halls of Valor and Maw of Souls
  • Many challenges await the heroes of Azeroth in Legion, and among the most dangerous are the dungeons found in and around the Broken Isles. In this preview, we take a look at two of the expansion’s new dungeons: Halls of Valor and Maw of Souls.

Class Halls
  • As you may have noticed, right now both the Alliance and the Horde are dealing with a bit of disarray on the leadership level. In World of Warcraft: Legion, you’ll need to step up and find new ways to band together against the invasion that threatens all of Azeroth. As you venture into the Broken Isles, you’ll join forces with other heroes of your class—no matter what faction they may be from—to make a stand and save everyone from annihilation.
Azeroth Armory: Forging Doomhammerhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNORIg5FWAg
Being Illidari
[col]The Shattered Abyss

Like a great yawning maw, Mardum stands before me. The fel flows freely here, and I’m both drawn and repelled by it. I’m not alone in taking my first steps into this desolate land. There are others of my kind—those who have embraced Lord Illidan’s teachings—who say that to defeat the Burning Legion, we must sacrifice . . . everything.|Image[/col]
  • Eons ago, Sargeras created Mardum to imprison demons. He also created the Sargerite Keystone to lock them away.

But when the Titan decided to burn all of creation, he shattered Mardum, sending its fragments hurtling throughout the Twisting Nether. Thus was born the Burning Legion.

Sargeras safeguarded his keystone on this particular fragment. It’s a skeleton key of sorts, allowing access to any Legion world. It’s also the key to Lord Illidan’s plan for the Legion’s destruction.
Blue Posts
How are you handling the Invasion Exp Nerf?
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

We agree that our initial change made Invasions too unrewarding for characters who weren’t at max level, so we’ve just applied a hotfix that increases XP gains from killing Legion invaders. Since Invasions are only around for a short period of time, we want them to feel lucrative, and provide incentives to actively participate in them.

You should be seeing a lot more progress on your XP bar for helping your fellow Azerothians fight the Legion now.

Ornyx
Community Manager

CLICK HERE TO READ THE ORIGINAL POST
Twitter
All of us use social media often, as that's the nature of how communications and the connected space has evolved. There was once a time when Community Management just meant forum posts, but those days are a decade in the past now and long gone.

It's fine that not everyone want to actively participate in social media, and, in fact, I think there are benefits for avoiding social media in one's personal life. However, one thing to remember is that our Social Media channels ARE official, our Developers enjoy sharing information in more open and personal channels, and that style of communication will continue (as will my communication here on the forums).

Aside from that, I do think we can do better to collate the tweets and posts from Developers and our Community Managers on topics pertaining to the game for those who don't want to join us there. I don't have an answer as to what the best and immediate solution is, but I do think we should continue transcribing tweets into a forum thread, reminding folks of various tweet trackers (such as Wowhead's Blue Tweet Tracker), and continuing to work on spreading links to our official social media channels, lists of official accounts on social media, etc.

It's a work in progress, obviously, and a bigger discussion across our team, but I am 100% open to feedback on this, and I'm open to discussing ideas from you guys with the good folks here. :)

<<It's also good to note you do not need a Twitter account to view tweets.>>

Ornyx
Community Manager

High King
The title "High King" is more akin to the title "Supreme Commander" that was held by Anduin Lothar, being the commander of the Grand Alliance's armed forces. It doesn't serve to denote "rule", "legal authority", or any kind of faction-wide political control over the civilians of the races that make up the Alliance itself (outside of the case where Varian was the High King of the Alliance, and the King of Stormwind, making him the leader of the humans of Stormwind, obviously).

We've discussed this a lot in the past, but the title and position of "High King" fits thematically with the Alliance - being an alliance formed originally around allegiances to human kingdoms.

Much like the Warchief of the Horde serving a military role, the High King acts to try to coordinate the forces that he is given leave to command (races of the Alliance can refuse to commit forces to the High King). This does not necessarily mean that the entire group agrees with the High King at all times, but they do recognize and understand the need for organized military intervention.

You may suggest that the humans should not have the title of High King, but as said above, there is a historical anchor within the Human Kingdoms for commanding the militaries of the Alliance, and they do believe they are better served by these Kingdoms than they would be by a Republic or Democracy.

Ornyx
Community Manager

Shadow Dance and the Stealth Bar
We’ve been reading all of the feedback throughout beta regarding Shadow Dance and the desire to have it use the “Stealth action bar.” To get right to the point, after an upcoming hotfix, Subtlety Rogues will find that Shadow Dance swaps their main action bar to the alternate bar that is used while in Stealth.

For a bit of context on the late change to our thinking on this: we rarely allow automatic functionality (such as action bar swaps, or macros) to choose between core damage abilities on the player’s behalf. We believe it’s important that the player has to make those choices themselves. The Rogue Stealth bar has always been a minor exception to this, but for many years, the Stealth bar was only active for the single ability you used to open a combat, and was not seen again for the duration of combat (other than with Vanish). The ability to bind your openers to the same buttons as your rotational abilities was a convenience that didn’t affect your use of abilities in combat.

However, the new Shadow Dance (and to a lesser extent Subterfuge), has resulted in some Rogues regularly using openers during combat, as elements of their rotation. In this case, the Stealth bar changes from a minor convenience that lets you place once-per-combat buttons on more convenient keybinds, to actually making regular, mid-combat decisions for you.

That said, after following the ongoing discussions and carefully considering your feedback, we understand the desire for consistency with other abilities that allow Stealth-only actions. Given the gray area that Shadow Dance is in, and the widespread feedback that using the Stealth bar would be more consistent and intuitive, we’ve decided to go ahead and allow Shadow Dance to once again swap your main action bar. This hotfix is scheduled to live with weekly restarts in each region.

A few details for players who use macros to further manage their buttons:
  • Shadow Dance will be treated similarly to Subterfuge for the purposes of macro conditionals. It will not activate [stealth], but it will activate [stance:2].
  • If you want to make a macro that mimics the behavior of the main bar (i.e. swapping when you have any of Stealth, Vanish, Subterfuge, or Shadow Dance), you can use the macro conditional [bonusbar:1].
Ornyx
Community Manager

ImageAugust 9th through September 11th Join A3 in celebrating the Legion Invasion launch event!
DEMON INVASION SELFIES[/font][/size][/b]
L25 DEMONIC PET EXCHANGE[/font][/size][/b]
FELBAT PUP DONATION DRIVE[/font][/size][/b]
A3 Team Challenge
Are you interested in winning 30 Days of Game Time, Any Current BlizzStore Pet, or Any Current BlizzStore Transmog Helm? Of course you are! Participate in A3's new weekly event and you just might! This week's challenge:
Image [/align]
Wild Pet Capture Service
Above all else... A3 loves collecting pets! Collection doesn't just stop at pets that can be traded and adopted though - there are a few worlds' worth of wild pets out there waiting for collectors, too! A few of us would like to offer our love of hunting wild pets to A3 members to help them also round out their wild pet needs.

Each week (sometimes a few times each week!) we will comb zones to help members find the wild pets they are still after. We will turn a zone upside-down and inside-out looking for your pet(s) and message you once we've found them. You will then come and capture it!

There are both Horde and Alliance hunters on standby to help with the pet search, so both factions are welcome.
[/align]
Weekly Raffle[col]

Entries will be open from:
Aug 22nd - Aug 26th
for: http://www.wowhead.com/npc=33194/dun-morogh-cub
|Image[/col]
Adoptions
Do you want to help supply pets for adoption that A3 needs? We have a Pet Suppliers thread where members can sign up to sponsor certain pets they are willing to supply. When the supply of certain pets starts to run low or we have an upcoming project where we’ll need more of a certain pet – we’ll send out a notification about that pet to our suppliers! There is no guess work and no 24/7 farming because we’ll let you know when we’re in need of the pets.

There are no quotas to meet when supplying the pets that you signed up for. You can provide whatever amount you are comfortable with.

New supply options were added on March 6th.

For more information about the Pet Supplier project click here.

[col3]Reputation[hrc=black]1[/hrc]Albino River Calf
Draenei Micro-Defender
Forest Sproutling
Frostwolf Pup
Son of Sethe
|Vendor[hrc=black]1[/hrc]Bloodthorn Hatchling
Crusher
Dusty Sporewing
Glowing Sporebat
Spectral Porcupette
Veilwatcher Hatchling
|Drop[hrc=black]1[/hrc]Filthling[/col3]
Whether entering a one-time competition or requesting your weekly pets, please remember these essential tips so your requests and entries aren't disqualified.
  • Don't forget to keep your WarcraftPets account up to date. You can find a guide on how to do this here.
  • Please remember to check what pets you have before submitting requests! Add-ons don't always display things accurately.
  • Please remember to report your request list if you acquire a pet you have requested. We've modified our system so that even if your post has already been flagged you can still report and make changes.
In the Forums
[dotbox-grey][align=center][b]Header[/b][/align][hrc=black]1[/hrc]If you want to submit a header for our newsletter, check out what our requirements are [url=http://azerothadoptionagency.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=1676]here[/url]![/dotbox-grey]
[dotbox-grey][align=center][b]Quotes[/b][/align][hrc=black]1[/hrc]We're always on the lookout for an awesome quote for the newsletter. Post your funny, insane or just plain truthful NPC quotes [url=http://azerothadoptionagency.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=259]here[/url].[/dotbox-grey]
Weekly Raffle Winners

Congratulations to this week's winners, who won a http://www.wowhead.com/npc=33200/elwynn-lamb![pre]FlameFlash Ehly[/pre][/color]
Achievements and Milestones[col]Jedikitten earned
http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=5028 ... or-a-livin

Piwakawaka earned
http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=1120 ... -invasions

Sandwalker earned
http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=1120 ... -invasions|Wakamaru earned
http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=1120 ... the-legion
http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=1120 ... -invasions
http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=9673/the-toymaster

Flameflash reached level 70 on his Alliance toon![/col]
To see your WoW-accomplishments featured in the newsletter tag them with #A3achieve on twitter or post them HERE.
[/clegendi]
PHOTO OF THE WEEKImage
[col3]Image|Want to see your photo here? Send us selfies or screenshots of you and your getting achievements, finding new pets, or just out and about having fun!|Submit Screenshot
#A3pix
Twitter
Private Message[/col3]
Official A3 Hashtags
[yellowbg][align=center][b][size=150]#A3achieve[/size][/b][/align][hrc=black]1[/hrc][i][size=85]Did you earn a new achievement or reach a new milestone? Mark it with #A3achieve and it will be included in a future newsletter![/size][/i][/yellowbg][bluebg][align=center][b][size=150]#A3pix[/size][/b][/align][hrc=black]1[/hrc][i][size=85]Snapped a new screenshot/selfie you want to share? Mark it with #A3pix and it will be featured in a future newsletter![/size][/i][/bluebg][redbg][align=center][b][size=150]#A3tc[/size][/b][/align][hrc=black]1[/hrc][i][size=85]Are you participating in the A3 Team Challenge weekly event? Let us know how you're doing by using #A3tc![/size][/i][/redbg]
Social MediaImage Facebook Page
  • Like us on Facebook! The A3 Facebook page is primarily used for official announcements, events, raffles and contest information. You can also send us your selfies and screenshots here (seriously -- we love them!).
Image Facebook Group
  • Join us on Facebook! The A3 Facebook group is the perfect place to socialize with your fellow A3 members, A3 team members and A3 admins. Post your achievements, selfies, screenshots and everything else here! Talk to other members, post WoW- and Pet-related news, share things you are doing outside of WoW -- anything (within reason) you want!
Image Twitter
  • Follow us on Twitter! We use our Twitter to post info about events, raffles and updates, and share/retweet posts from our members! We LOVE to see your achievements, new pets, screenshots and selfies! Tag us in your World of Warcraft-related tweets so we can share them with the community! @A3pets or #A3pets.
Image Tumblr
  • Follow us on Tumblr! We use our Tumblr to post and share guild and member photos and selfies. We may also share Battle Pet-related videos and photos from around the web! Members can submit their pics straight to our Tumblr too if they like.
Image Reading With Leashes
  • Check out our blog for ideas on pet battles, pet collection tips, and other useful information!
UPCOMING EVENTS
[col3]Did you know that A3 has bills? It’s true! A3 has monthly and yearly bills related to the cost of operating the Agency. We earn some funds from ads on the site but most of A3’s operating costs are paid out of pocket.

Operating costs are the costs required to run the community – these do not include the costs of sponsoring giveaways.|A3 is a volunteer operated project and we need the help of our members to keep the site online.

Currently only 3% of our members have contributed to assist with operating costs. 1% of our members have contributed more than once.

A few spare dollars here and there can go a long way!|Donations are accepted through PayPal. A PayPal account is not required to donate.

[paypal]$[/paypal]

For more information about donating you can read the Can I help the Agency financially? F.A.Q.[/col3]

A special 'Thank You' to Wakamaru - for creating this week's Pawprint Press header!
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Pawprint Press Manager
Reading With Leashes Contributor
Recruitment Team
Tracking Sheet Manager

Return to “Weekly Newsletter”