!! REMINDER !!
Official communication will be done over the forum - not in game. Check your Private Messages.

A3 Green Thumb

Wakamaru
Administrator
Administrator
United States of America

A3 Green Thumb

Post by Wakamaru » March 8th, 2016, 9:12 pm

Hey Everyone!

So I love to garden and grow my own vegetable. I've been seeding veggies and herbs to go outside (soon!) and I got to thinking... I wonder if any of our A3ers garden?

I'd love to know what you garden, be is veggies, fruits, or flowers. If you have any tips and tricks you would like to share with fellow A3ers that would be great too! :D

Thanks,
Waka

Community Leader
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Adoption Forum Management
Adoptions: Inventory
Community Manager/Leader
Event Creation/Management
Pawprint Press Contributor
Reading With Leashes Contributor / Admin
Site Admin
Social Media Manager

Wakamaru
Administrator
Administrator
United States of America

Re: A3 Green Thumb

Post by Wakamaru » March 8th, 2016, 10:02 pm

So I figure I'd start off the thread but listing what I have planned for the garden this year. I'm in a new warmer region this year and I have some new toys to play with this season so I'm really looking forward to that. Most of all... Ladorna build me a small greenhouse! Woohoo! It's going to be primarily used for seeding and growing herbs.

So onward with the list of what I'll be growing this year...

Fruits & Veggies
Asparagus
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Cantaloupe
Chard
Cherry Tomatoes
Green Beans
Kale
Okra
Onions
Potatoes (Coliban and Red Rascal)
Strawberries
Summer Squash (Zucchini & Crookneck)
Sweet Corn
Sweet Peppers

Herbs
Basil (sweet)
Chives
Parsley
Rosemary
Sage (common)
Thyme

Perennials
Begonias
Canterbury Bells
Cascade Groundcover Roses
Citronella
Lupine
Salvia

Annuals
Alyssum
Gazania
Larkspur
Marigold
Moss Rose

I'm definitely bummed about having to re-establish another crop of Asparagus. It's such a shame I couldn't teleport my other bed here! >_< They'll be a little tasty next year and super tasty the year after though.

A fair amount of flowering annuals are sewn in and around the veggies to help attract pollinators. And there is plenty of citronella and marigold to help repel the pesky mosquitoes.

We have some ground and hanging planters left to fill yet... We'll probably wind up with some flowering annuals (idk what yet) mixed in with a few different colors of sweet potato vines for the planets with bottoms. The permanent open-bottom planters will wind up with a mix of perennials and annuals but again... I haven't decided what XD

Community Leader
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Community Manager/Leader
Site Admin
Social Media Manager

Wakamaru
Administrator
Administrator
United States of America

Re: A3 Green Thumb

Post by Wakamaru » March 10th, 2016, 12:09 am

Beia15 wrote:I've done some gardening in the past, but the last few years wasn't able to really tend to it very well between being a caretaker and water restriction thanks to the drought. But perhaps this year would be a nice time to start up again. :)

Some of my hardier survivors that are enjoying the storm that came through here include:
a dwarf plum tree
my grape vine
kumquat tree
some gladiolas
rose bush
and likely my little asparagus

I've grown some of those canterbury bells in past. They are pretty, but I didn't realize at the time that they usually don't flower until the second year.
How did you like the drawf plum tree? Did you grow it potted indoors, outdoors, or in the ground? We've been looking at a couple of dwarf fruit trees but I haven't ever grown them before so it'd be new for me.

One of the down sides to a lot of perennials is that some of won't flower for a year or two after you buy them. It takes time to mature and establish a root system. The wisteria vine is one of my all time favorite plants but it can take a few years to mature which is a real bummer. They are beautiful once they do but omg the waiting >_< I never liked waiting with Asparagus crops either. You can pick them in their first year but they do so much better if you wait and harvest 1/2 of the crop in year two and then the full crop in year three. It gives them plenty of time to establish the root system and you tend to get larger/more yields. At least they are semi-pleasant to look at while you wait and let them turn into fern-like plants.

Community Leader
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Community Manager/Leader
Site Admin
Social Media Manager

Return to “Hobbies”