!! REMINDER !!
Official communication will be done over the forum - not in game. Check your Private Messages.

Newsletter October 7: Attempted to Type Around Cat

piwakawaka
Team Member
Team Member
New Zealand

Newsletter October 7: Attempted to Type Around Cat

Post by piwakawaka » October 7th, 2019, 4:32 am

October 2019
Year 5, Issue 39

Hello, Readers.

It's the countdown 'til the A3 Anniversary, and once again the call is going out far and wide, looking for those who wish to make a contribution towards the insanity that is our anniversary. Contributors can be people who just have a few too many of that one dang pet, or people who actively enjoy going out and farming and want something to do.

You will note, however, that even before you find the information about how to volunteer in our following post, we are doing something a little different in our newsletter. Over the coming weeks we are going to run little featurettes about some of the A3 community members. We've done something similar before; when I took over the newsletter I ran features on our staff members so people could learn a bit about them, and the staff wouldn't feel so unfamiliar to our members. Since it's been so long and things have changed a lot over time, we decided it might be cool to run a few featurettes for our fifth anniversary, not just about staff members, but some of our more prominent helpers and members of the community. Pay attention, as these could be useful down the road as well!

This week we're featuring none other than our own Wakamaru and myself, Piwakawaka! We hope you enjoy the little interviews. We've included some randomly generated questions just to make things interesting and a little different between each interview.

I hope you all have a good week!

Piwakawaka.

This happened when as I was trying to post the newsletter. The levels of fluff in my nose is unreal.

piwakawaka
Team Member
Team Member
New Zealand

Re: Newsletter October 7: Attempted to Type Around Cat

Post by piwakawaka » October 7th, 2019, 4:37 am

The Road To 5!
It's hard to believe, but October is already here. What's so significant about October for the A3 community? Well, this is when I start prepping all of our anniversary celebrations! This year, beginning December 1st, we will celebrate our 5 year anniversary!

I thought it would be fun to get to know some of our members a little more leading up to the anniversary celebrations. Between now and then, we will be including some fun Q&As from some of our longest standing members, our most active members, and our most helpful and generous members.

This week we are featuring:
Community Leader Wakamaru
&
OG Team Member Piwakawaka

Community Name (and how to pronounce it):
Wakamaru (Wok-uh-Mar-oo)

How did you find the community? What made you decide to join? And to stick around?
I was there at the creation of the community! Rusti and I had become battle pet trading fiends and wound up coming up with the idea of rehoming pets that folks couldn't get rid of in Trade [chat]. Rusti took the idea and ran with it and I was there just to help. People were surprisingly generous when giving, but shockingly rude and aggressive when trying to take pets. I wound up stepping in as the community manager to deal with the membership and behavioral issues so that Rusti wouldn't have to. I stayed because even though we encountered some truly awful people, we met 10x more amazing and kind people. If it hadn't been for those people, Rusti and I would have closed up shop way back when this was a simple forum post on a website. :)

Where are you most active within the community?
I am everywhere... But it's definitely quicker and easier to just pop into Discord on the go or while not at home and chat with folks. Or lurk as it is sometimes...

What’s your favorite battle pet?
Francois is my favorite chicken. Murkablo for sentimental reasons though. He was an amazing gift from the A3 team!

What’s your favorite real life treat?
Cheese, especially smoked Gouda.

What are three random facts about you?
a. My coworkers call me "Mother of Chickens". I'm a certified crazy chicken lady and they are all big Game of Thrones fans.
b. I have a Master's [degree] in Psychology and Human Services. I worked hard for that degree... I wound up in a different field than intended though.
c. I basically hoard yarn, makeup and nail polish.

What's one of your favorite comfort foods?
Baked Ruffles; cheddar and sour cream flavor... so... SO... GOOOOD!

What would you do if you won the lottery?
Buy a little "granny pod" style village for my best WoW friends (the team!) to move into. That way we can be anti-social closer to each other.

What was one of the most interesting concerts you’ve been to?
I went to the Elton John One Night Only concert in Madison Square Garden. It was actually a two-night concert but most of the audio for the album from the first night was lost in the recording process. It was amazing! Goodbye Yellow Brick Road with Billy Joel was especially wonderful. https://youtu.be/wO25dtgUEJE

What is your name, and how is it pronounced?
Piwakawaka (piːwɑːkɑːwɑːkɑː)

How did you find the community? What made you decide to join? And to stick around?
I saw a post on Warcraft Pets trying to organise the gifting of spare pets to newer players. I decided to join the guild, see what it was about and if i could offload all my old holiday pets (I still haven't, Waka would kill me) and to see if there was anything interesting I could pick up myself. When word went out that A3 was needing some extra helping hands I decided I'd put my hand up to help. It was partly a challenge to myself, to see if i could sit down with something and stick with it, and also a challenge to interact with people more. So far I've managed to stick for five years, and I've made some awesome friends along the way too!

Where are you most active within the community?
You can find me in a few places. I post the newsletter and send Adoptions each week for example. Mostly I can be found in the Discord server. I don't always talk much, but when I get started it can be difficult to stop me. I'm most active in the Pokémon channel, because, hey why not obsessively collect everything offered in multiple games?

What’s your favorite battle pet?
Sorry, Cinder Kitten, you've been replaced by Brightpaw!

What’s your favorite real life treat?
Chocolate!

What are three random facts about you?
a. Piwakawaka is a small bird native to New Zealand, also known as the Fantail. I have a picture of one tattooed on my right shoulder. In Maori mythology it is said to be a messenger of death.
b. Occasionally people mistake me for Wakamaru for some unknown reason.
c. I have commissioned Wakamaru to create transmog sets for me on several occasions, as I have literally 0 fashion sense.

What was the best time period of your life? What do you think will be the best time period of your entire life?
I would have to say April to May 2009, that was when I married my husband, and had my son. For all the trouble those two give me, they're also the best things that have happened to me.

If peanut butter wasn’t called peanut butter, what would it be called?
Delicious.

Are you very active or do you prefer to just relax in your free time?
Most of my free time is spent playing WoW, but I do get quite active during Pokémon Go events. At least if the weather is nice.
It's A Party!

The A3 anniversary preparations have officially begun! Prizes and giveaways this year will vary as they did last year, including pets, mounts, toys, store goodies, rare items, and more. The deadline for all contributions will be November 20th. If you are interested in helping to farm or sponsor goodies for the anniversary celebrations please fill out the following forum:
https://forms.gle/VSwkXF5pSBg6rpAz5

Followup with Wakamaru in a Private Message on the forum or a Direct Message on Discord afterward. Please also reach out to Wakamaru with any questions.
Blizzcon Virtual Ticket is now Available!
The Blizzcon Virtual Ticket is now available on the Blizzard Store.
Seabreeze Bumblebee Giveaway
Patch 8.2.5 has arrived and with it there's a new reputation exclusively for the Alliance! The Honeyback Hive is where you want to go if you want the awesome Bee mount. In order to unlock this reputation, however, you need either Bumbles or the Seabreeze Bumblebee. To this end, the Pawprint Press is giving away 5 Seabreeze Bumblebees!

Giveaway Dates: Sep 30 - Oct 11

How to Enter:
  • Find as many VALID words as you can in the newsletter's word puzzle
    Create a NEW post in the Newsletter thread.
    Add your answers to the new post using the form below.
    The form is not indicative of how many words can be found.
Entries:
  • You will earn 1 entry for every three valid words found.
    You will earn 1 entry for correctly identifying the 9-letter word.
Rules: The rules of the word puzzle can be found with the puzzle. The giveaway also follows standard A3 Giveaway rules.
  • You may enter using Word Puzzles for the September 30, and Oct 7 newsletters.
    Posts MUST be made in response to these newsletters.
    Newsletter threads will be locked with the posting of the next newsletter
    You must mark your post as non-entry if you do not need the pet.
    You must need the item you are entering for. Remember that A3 defines 'need' as 'not already owning'.
Prize Claim Deadline
Prizes will be mailed to your A3 character on Bladefist. You will have 30 days to pick up your prize. If you fail to retrieve your item(s) during this time and it's returned to Piwakawaka, you forfeit your right to the item(s). There are no exceptions to this.

[u]My WORD PUZZLE Answers[/u]

Word #1: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #2: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #3: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #4: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #5: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #6: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #7: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #8: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #9: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #10: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #11: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #12: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #13: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #14: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #15: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #16: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #17: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #18: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #19: [private]your answer here[/private]
Word #20: [private]your answer here[/private]

PLEASE NOTE - You cannot include punctuation inside of the [private][/private] tags.

piwakawaka
Team Member
Team Member
New Zealand

Post by piwakawaka » October 7th, 2019, 4:43 am

Reading With Leashes
Guides!
Have you checked out these guides?
Random Reads!
Check out these other awesome posts!
Is there a tamer you just can't seem to beat? A pet you want to know more about?
Be sure to let us know what you'd like to see covered via the blog forum post or by sending Jedikitten a PM!
Photos Of The Week

Featured this week:
@Astrae, @Jedikitten, @Ngalmwe and @Sandwalker

Want to see your photo here? Send us selfies or screenshots of you and your getting achievements, finding new pets, or just out and about having fun!

Submit Screenshot
#A3pix
Twitter
Forum Thread
Private Message
A3 Forum Games
4 Word Story Time
:books:
Play Game
Hurt and Heal
:crossed_swords:
Play Game
Level That Pet
:chart_with_upwards_trend:
Play Game
Movie Connections
:movie_camera:
Play Game
Name That Pet
:dog2:
Play Game
Pet Scramble
:question:
Play Game
Pokemon Go CP #s
:mouse:
Play Game
Who Am I
:spy:
Play Game
Warcraft Puns
:drum:
Play Game

This Week's Puzzle
Puzzle #9

Last Week's Answers

Sandwalker found 32 words:

ago, ail, airy, arch, cay, chai, chair, char, chia, clag, clay, crag, cray, gal, garlic, gay, hag, hail, hair, hairy, hay, lacy, lag, lah, lair, lay, oar, OLIGARCHY, rah, rail, ray, yagi

piwakawaka
Team Member
Team Member
New Zealand

Post by piwakawaka » October 7th, 2019, 4:54 am

Thank You
Thank you to everyone to contributed to this week's newsletter!

Piwakawaka (editor/contributor)
Jedikitten (formatting/contributor)
Sandwalker (copy editor/contributor)
Wakamaru (contributor)

A special 'Thank You' to Wakamaru for creating this week's Pawprint Press header!
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Pawprint Press Manager
Reading With Leashes Contributor
Recruitment Team
Tracking Sheet Manager

Jedikitten
Team Member
Team Member
United States of America

Post by Jedikitten » October 11th, 2019, 8:57 pm

My WORD PUZZLE Answers
I'm terrible at these, but here goes. :)

Word #1:
Word #2:
Word #3:
Word #4:
Word #5:
Word #6:
Word #7:
Word #8:
Word #9:
Word #10:
Word #11:
Team Member