!! REMINDER !!
Official communication will be done over the forum - not in game. Check your Private Messages.

What does everyone do?

Wakamaru
Administrator
Administrator
United States of America

What does everyone do?

Post by Wakamaru » June 3rd, 2015, 3:23 am

This will be our little introduction thread. Tell us about your favorite or most beloved hobbies here, share your experiences, tell us how you got started - whatever you want to share!

I'll go first...

I love to crochet, knit, make jewelry, work with clay, and I HOARD stationary. I love to make "sculptures" from driftwood using the LuRon technique as well as make driftwood sculptures from smaller bits I find and sea glass. I dry herbs to make oils and for various homeopathic remedies. I play the saxophone (alto) and violin, preferably the electric violin. Lastly, I LOVE camping, fishing, and cooking.

My most beloved hobby is crochet though. My Grandmother taught this to me when I was very young but it wasn't really something I was interested in at the time. I knew how to do it, but I never really did. When I turned 20 though something brought me back to it. I had a friend with an afghan made by their mother for them but due to age, wear, and tear it had begun to fall apart - as such they decided to store it. I decided that I would make them another one to use to comfort and warmth and so I started to crochet them a granny square afghan. Something about crocheting this time around was absolutely wonderful to me and it stuck. Aside from being very relaxing and soothing I found it to be quite fun, plus there is nothing more wonderful than making something for someone who will truly appreciate the time, effort, and thought. After assembling that granny square afghan I dove into making amigurumi, hats, and shawls - these are my favorite projects! Sometimes my crochet projects cross over with my jewelry projects and beading as well. Although I'm fond of jewelry making in general, I *love* bead weaving projects.

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

The unwilling volunteer in the Bumble hat is my dear mom :P

My favorite crochet project is this Stevie Nicks inspired bohemian vest. I've made nearly a dozen with another one in progress. I need to get some proper photos of them. Such a beautiful pattern!
(please note this is not my photo)
Community Leader
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Adoption Forum Management
Adoptions: Inventory
Community Manager/Leader
Event Creation/Management
Pawprint Press Contributor
Reading With Leashes Contributor / Admin
Site Admin
Social Media Manager

Ehly
Superstar
Superstar
United States of America

Re: What does everyone do?

Post by Ehly » June 3rd, 2015, 2:57 pm

(I'll come back later and add a pic or two.)

I haven't picked up the needles in several months due to a wrist injury, but I think of myself as a knitter before other crafts. My massive stash is currently stored in totes in the basement and I'm hoping to get back to it soon. I want to work out a hat "pattern" doing the horde symbol in stranded colorwork instead of intarsia (which I hate/suck at).

I do some sewing, mainly basics like tote bags, pillowcases & baby things. I'd love to get to the point where I could draft patterns and make adult shirts. That way I could make hubby the kind of shirts he likes in the fabric he prefers, and copy my favorite blouse about 10 times so I will always have one.

Lately, I've been making a lot of candles: all soy or beeswwx, with wicks containing no metal (cotton or paper/cotton combo). I almost obsessively save jars for unscented emergency lighting, and use wide mouth canning jars and tins for scented (home use, gifts, some sales).

I'm also interested in:
  • lip balm, lotion bars, etc.
  • soap (melt & pour goat's milk or glycerine (with toys embedded in the bar))
  • making jewelry
  • packaging all of the above
  • 3d printing
  • mail "art" (basically fancying up packages & letters with stamps, rummer stamps, labels, etc. (I'm not an artist))
I want to learn how to garden and can/preserve foods. I'd love to have a coop with some chickens.

OzinLA
Team Member
Team Member
Australia

Post by OzinLA » June 4th, 2015, 11:04 am

Well, I'm blown away by the textiles talent shown here. I used to knit and crochet - my grandmother taught me before I hit teenagedom, so that is yonks ago. If any of you lived through the eras you will know of what I speak when I mention crochet tunic tops (those were for my Mum in the 70s) and knitted multicolored 80s jumpers (that's sweaters for the Americans). But since I left Australia (the land of excellent wool) and moved to Los Angeles (too hot for knitteds) I haven't really picked up my hook or needles. Oh the 70s was the decade that I mastered macrame - lots of belts and hanging plant holders. :jolly:

I did dabble in jewelery making - the kind that involves fire and hammers - for a while. But now my hobbies are gardening and WoW. What with work and activities of daily living there isn't a whole lot of time to squeeze in multiple hobbies.

Anyhow, since I'm on the computer where I have photos stored, here is a sample of my jewelry.
jewelry collage 1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Adoptions: Stocking
Assistant Guide Manager
Recruitment Team

ladytr0uble

Post by ladytr0uble » June 7th, 2015, 12:25 am

I'm drooling over the crafts!

I'm mainly a knitter. My grandmother taught me when I was around 5 with chopsticks (so I won't poke my eyes out with too-long knitting needles). I think she taught me mainly to keep me out of her hair when she knitted or sewed because I was THAT kid who would ask "why are you doing that?". Fast forward 20 years later, I decided to quit smoking and found myself looking for something to keep my hands busy. Here are some of my old projects:

My grandmother also tried to teach me how to crochet but that didn't stick till I picked up crafting in my 20s. I recently got my hands on a copy of "Hello Kitty Crochet: Supercute Amigurumi Patterns for Sanrio Friends", so I forsee a lot of crocheting in the near future. But I can't start any cute animals until I finish a sweater for my cousin's baby before he gets too big for it.

I love all crafts: origami, sashiko stitching, embroidery, card making... Crafting calms me. But knitting is my constant because it is so portable and it keeps me from shoving rude people off the subway platform (^.-)

Hopefully, I'll be a little better about documenting my projects in the future so I can share it with you guys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wakamaru
Administrator
Administrator
United States of America

Post by Wakamaru » June 7th, 2015, 9:16 pm

Irayna wrote:I can't believe I forgot to add this!!!!

If you are a knitter, crocheter, spinner, you need to be on Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com) if you aren't already there. I'm jennielynn over there. :)
Love Ravelry! I'm nezell on there. I think I'll actually make us a sticky list for this sort of thing here so these don't get lost in the thread if it grows.
Community Leader
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Adoption Forum Management
Adoptions: Inventory
Community Manager/Leader
Event Creation/Management
Pawprint Press Contributor
Reading With Leashes Contributor / Admin
Site Admin
Social Media Manager

Hiruma

Post by Hiruma » June 8th, 2015, 3:50 pm

My hobbies are playing Battletech, I have over 100 battlemech miniatures (I need to update my photo galleries on photobucket, though the ones on facebook are mostly updated, missing maybe 8 mechs I just picked up
http://s292.photobucket.com/user/Seijin ... ch%20Minis

and the Society for Creative Anachronism where I dabble in leather working, archery and heraldry, The quiver in the picture as well as the belt and bracer I made, and I am working on acquiring tools to start making my own arrows, and just picked up the materials to start making a crossbow (going to be made out of maple)

Though the biggest hobby I have would be Sakura-Con up here in Seattle. I have been helping staff the convention since it started in 1998, and currently sit on the executive board as the vice chairman in my 4th year in the position. Previously I spent 8 years as the AMV contest coordinator, and 6 years as the assistant director of publicity. Prior to that I helped out with the cosplay contest, helped run video when we had CCTV, worked with the newsletter and general staffing.
Hiruma @ Azeroth Adoption Agency
WCP @ http://www.warcraftpets.com/account/profiles/Hiruma/

Ehly
Superstar
Superstar
United States of America

Post by Ehly » June 8th, 2015, 8:16 pm

I've been on Rav for almost 8 years. Unfortunately, I had some issues and have needed to distance myself from my user name, so I don't use it now, except to search for project ideas. Someday, I'll get another account set up that I can freely share. I may actually have one set up already - I should go see what I can dig up!!

rjosephs58wt

Post by rjosephs58wt » June 23rd, 2015, 8:12 pm

I dabble in a few hobbies. I do a little postage stamp collecting, which I have been doing now for about 5 years. My current passion is digital photography with an emphasis on High Dynamic Range (HDR) photos. With the nicer weather here I try to get out at least one day a week and take pictures. This has turned out to be an expensive hobby as I am always chasing the next piece of gear.
rjosephs58wt @ Azeroth Adoption Agency (Not In Guild)
WCP @ http://www.warcraftpets.com/account/pro ... sephs58wt/

Kelvarik

Post by Kelvarik » July 23rd, 2015, 10:25 am

Well, my non-WoW hobbies include riding my Harley, playing Magic: The Gathering and racing my stock car.

The Harley -
ImageImage

The stock car -
ImageImage
You can check out my race team at - http://haywire-racing.com/ or my Facebook fan page at - https://www.facebook.com/TerribleTim68.
Kelvarik @ Azeroth Adoption Agency
WCP @ http://www.warcraftpets.com/account/profiles/Kel/

Vivienne
Team Member
Team Member
United States of America

Post by Vivienne » July 23rd, 2015, 9:31 pm

I've recently taken an interest in weaving and bought a small table-top loom to get started and see if it's something I'd continue. I do dabble in bead weaving, mostly small projects like bookmarks and bracelets. I have a tendency to buy beads, charms and such because they're pretty or unique or they catch my eye and I'm sure I'll find a use for them "soon". I have a large stash of fleece remnants that I use to make small no-sew blankets for my local animal shelter. Once the fleece is cut and ready to be tied, it's relaxing to sit and listen to music or watch tv while tying it off. For large human-size blankets I go a step farther and add a layer of batting.

I saw that one of the prior posters had mentioned 3D printing. I have experience with that. It's fascinating to do, but frustrating too. If you have any questions about it, you can get in touch with me.

I have 3 cats, 2 dogs, and one husband. They keep me well entertained, lol.

I work part-time at Target. I'm blessed in that I enjoy my job and like the people on my team. Sure, it has it's bad days but the good vastly outweighs those.
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Sales
Wild Pet Capture Service Manager

Kelvarik

Post by Kelvarik » July 24th, 2015, 6:47 pm

Vivienne wrote:. . .
I have 3 cats, 2 dogs, and one husband. They keep me well entertained, lol.
. . .
Best part of this whole thread!
Kelvarik @ Azeroth Adoption Agency
WCP @ http://www.warcraftpets.com/account/profiles/Kel/

Fenrasta
Superstar
Superstar
United States of America

Post by Fenrasta » July 26th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Besides WoW, my biggest hobbies are face-to-face RPGs (both tabletop and live-action roleplaying) and painting miniatures. I also write a ton every November and sporadically the rest of the year, and doodle maps and characters and creatures. I've got a husband who plays WoW and RPGs with me (in fact, we met through a LARP club) and two cats, who are *mostly* trained to not step on the keyboard.

-Fen

catsmeow

Post by catsmeow » September 5th, 2015, 10:53 pm

As a Geologist I'm an avid rock collector. One of the first fossils I found was in my own backyard. I was digging in the sandbox and wondered what lay under the sand. Dug into some soft clay and found a brachiopod (Mucrospirifer thedfordensis). I was in fourth grade at the time. I've tried to pass on my passion for science to my kids. I've taken them with my fossil and mineral collecting, and bored them with in-depth analyses of the various rock formations we've seen. Hmmm, probably not the best way to get them interested...

Other hobbies I enjoy are reading, writing, hiking, cross-stitch, gardening, DnD and RPG campaigns, and torturing my family with bad puns. Mind you, my husband and daughters are very adept at returning the favor. Needless to say dinner conversation is quite entertaining.

As the wife of a 3D animator involved in the gaming industry I've played my share of video games, some even as a beta tester. My children laugh at my attempts to play console games though, so I prefer to stick with computer games. My youngest once told me when we were going to play Mario Kart "Don't worry Mom, I'll try not to beat you too badly." She was six at the time. I lost horrendously, and not on purpose. Sigh.
Petyna @ Azeroth Adoption Agency | Alykat @ Petoholics Anonymous
WCP @ http://www.warcraftpets.com/account/profiles/Catsmeow/

Shegrah

Post by Shegrah » July 23rd, 2016, 3:05 pm

I'm working on a Mermaid Tail Blanket for a friends daughters birthday. I'm almost finished just need to get the ends done so I thought I'd send a picture out to see if you think she'll like it. The pink and the white both have sparkles. (It's from a crochet pattern for anyone who's curious.)
IMAG0543.jpg

Sandwalker
Team Member
Team Member
New Zealand

Post by Sandwalker » July 25th, 2016, 6:16 am

Unusual, but pretty cool. It's the shame the sparkles don't show up in the picture; sparkles are annoying in that you usually have to see them in person to get the full benefit.
Shegrah wrote:I'm working on a Mermaid Tail Blanket for a friends daughters birthday. I'm almost finished just need to get the ends done so I thought I'd send a picture out to see if you think she'll like it. The pink and the white both have sparkles. (It's from a crochet pattern for anyone who's curious.)

IMAG0543.jpg
Team Member
[+] A3 Responsibilities
Date Keeper
Guide Copy Editor
Pawprint Press Copy Editor
Reading With Leashes Copy Editor
Wearer of Sparkling Blue Editor Cap

solitha
United States of America

Post by solitha » July 25th, 2016, 8:09 pm

I feel terribly boring after reading all that. o.O

I'm in a hiatus in life right now. I'm retired, young enough to start over, and have no real clue what I want to move on to... except that I had quite enough of my old career, especially with the current social climate.

I read a lot, on and off the computer.

I hope to go back to college, refresh my basic skills, find something I'm good at and like, and try to make a future out of it.

Return to “General Discussion”